Volunteer Income Tax Assistance

SBHS is continuing with their VITA program which helps low income families file their tax returns for free by certified students working as interns for the IRS. We have been rated the #1 volunteer tax site in the nation by the Los Angeles IRS branch and were the first volunteer tax site to open in a high school. VITA offers students the opportunity to study tax laws and perform filings in a professional work environment. Volunteers who enter the program and complete it can be eligible for high employment and scholarship opportunities.

VITA Schedule 2017
Dates: Every Wednesday, Feb. 1st to April 12th
CLOSED on Feb. 15th, March 29th, and April 5th
Time: 3pm-6pm
Location: Santa Barbara High School, Room 70

Low-income individuals or families can come to SBHS to file their tax returns and IRS (Internal Revenue Service) certified volunteer students will complete your tax return for free! We can also paper file for people who need to do back-taxes or need to obtain an ITIN (Individual Tax Identification Number) because of residency status. We want everyone who is eligible for refundable (get them even if you have zero tax liability) tax credits such as EITC (Earned Income Tax Credit), Education Credits to get then, and Child-tax credits!

We are proud to say that were the FIRST high school in the nation that was awarded an EFIN (Electronic Filing Identification Number) (allows us to file to Ogden, Utah) by the IRS. In 2010 we were recognized by the Los Angeles IRS as "the best tax site in the nation".

What to bring:

  • Valid driver's license or other photo ID
  • SS# or ITIN for ALL people on your return
  • Birth date for ALL people on your return
  • All income statements:  W-2's, 1099's, SS, unemployment
  • All records of expenses:  tuition, mortgage interest, real estate taxes
  • Copies of last year's returns
  • Bank routing and account numbers!  Best way to file is to E-FILE!  Fast, free, and SECURE!
  • Child care information-don't forget their name, SS or EIN (tax id)
  • Both people MUST sign form if Married Filing Jointly